Wednesday, November 14, 2007

11/14 Devotional Reading

Good Morning, Home Team and Away Team! While the Away Team is traveling, I will be posting the daily devotions that they will be reading in their "Scouting & Survival Guide" so that we can share devotions with them.

Today's devotion was lovingly shared by Dean Matro.

Today's reading: Psalm 149; 1 Corinthians 15, 16


But because God was so gracious, so very generous, here I am. And I'm not about to let his grace go to waste. Haven't I worked hard trying to do more than any of the others? Even then, my work didn't amount to all that much. It was God giving me the work to do, God giving me the energy to do it. --1 Corinthians 15:10


Aloha from the home front. I send greetings and blessings to you from those whom you are leaving today: your family, your co-workers, you neighbors, and your church.

You are probably reading this as a group sitting at the gate waiting for your plane to depart, and I have the awesome opportunity to send you off. Some of you may be wondering if you made the right decision. Others may be feeling a bit anxious or even scared.

But know this: You are all called to be on this trip, and there is a supreme purpose that is being fulfilled. The grace that fills you all is having a profound effect. You are no longer the same person, and like Paul, have stepped up to redeem that grace and not let it go to waste. An assignment was given, and you have made a commitment to God.

From the world's perspective, today you are saying goodbye to comfort. You are saying goodbye to luxury. You are saying goodbye to privilege. You are saying goodbye to the familiar.

But by doing the work given you by God, you are actually saying hello to comfort, to luxury, to privilege, and to the familiar. Being a servant and being available to God's calling is your true nature; it is who you are. I have seen you all apprehensive about the trip, yet at the same time, I have seen the inner fire and excitement bursting through your pores. It is His grace giving you the energy to embrace this trip. He has given you an assignment, and you are going to get it done.

My closing prayer will sound familiar to you, Jilly and Arden. It is the one I wrote for Avery when she was still a baby. It is a blessing, yes, but more so a challenge on how she was to live her life. And so I would like to bless you now and give you the same challenge. "May the love, peace, and grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you forever, and may you continually seek His face in all that you do."

You are on your journey to see His face more clearly. Press toward Him! Use this trip to get away and to get close to God. Allow God to reveal Himself in the bustling airports, the grandeur of the mountaintops, and in the laughter of the children. Let His grace affect you forever.

I can't wait to see you all again, changed and renewed. --shared by Dean Matro


And for today's prayer focus, please be praying for traveling mercies: an easy time through the airports and customs, safety on the planes, and germ-free airplane air (now THAT will be a God thing!)

Aloha til tomorrow, Barbara Gum

2 comments:

  1. trying to get the pix I took at the airport posted onto the Blog. I'm so technically challenged... can't figure out how to do it. I sent email to Barbara but not sure I got her email right because it's not on the blog yet. The email I wrote down was bjgum@yahoo.com? Thanks, Bo

    ReplyDelete
  2. In today's devotions, 1 Cor 15:37 "When you sow, you do not plant the body that will be but just a seed..." spoke so clearly.

    How exciting to know that your journey, the work that you are doing today, will plant seeds that will grow and bear tremedous fruit in the future!

    Praying for you, Aileen

    ReplyDelete