Saturday, November 15, 2008

Musoorie India

Our 22 hours of traveling consisted of flight time as well the craziest 8 hour bus ride I have ever been on.  But we have finally made it here to the orphanage where we were warmly greeted at 0130 with smiling faces as well as an assortment of fireworks.  It is still so surreal for me to be here half way around the world.  The atmosphere is full of life, the boys running around being kids, and the girls helping with the babies as well as helping in the kitchen.  Everyone is so thankful for to have come all this way just to see them.  Words cannot describe how beautiful it is here in the mountains with these kids.  Most of the boys are close to my own age and I cannot believe that we are so similar and yet so different at the same time.  The differences are that they truly know what it means to have faith in the Holy Spirit.  Back in the United States, people always say, "Are you so blessed to live in a country where you have so much."  Yes it is a blessing to have so much, but it is also a curse.  The boys here are not clouded with desires for the newest XBox game or a new car to show off to their friends.  These boys have nothing and yet the love that surrounds them is worth more to me then what I have back home.  Before I came on this trip people have been asking me what i was looking forward to on this trip, all I could tell them was "I don't know."  And that was the honest truth I didn't know what to look forward to, I have never met these people before, I'm in a WHOLE different world, and I am away from the comforts of home.  But all that changed moments before I left.  While doing my devotions I came across 1 Corinthians 9:16-18:

Yet preaching the Good News is not something I can boast about.  I am compelled by God to do it.  How terrible for me it I didn't preach the Good News!  If I were doing this on my own initiative, I would deserve payment.  But I have no choice, for God has given me this sacred trust.  What then is my pay?  It is the opportunity to preach the Good News without charging anyone.

So me coming half way around the word, away from friends, family, and away from comforts, was not my idea or Uncle Creighton's but Gods.  Me meeting these boys and giving them 4 days of my life is a price I am willing to pay.  These boys are showing me what it truly means to trust in the Lord.  So I am not waiting for the last day to change but I want to change NOW!

- Ellis Matro

1 comment:

  1. Ellis -- you post brought me to tears! I have been so excited about what God would do with you and your Dad in India, and am now ecstatic to hear how He has lit a fire in you! I am honored to be part of your home team -- can't wait to hear about everything when you return! Hugs for everyone, Auntie Lee-Ann

    ReplyDelete