The broad objective of this mission trip is to facilitate the Winter 2010 Woodstock High School Retreat March 5-7. Specific objectives are still being honed by the team leadership. Last night's meeting focused on prayer, on core values based on our team scripture, Romans 12:3-13, and on individual progress in preparing for the trip. Romans 12:3-13 reads:
"For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you. Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.From this scripture come our mission team's core values:
"Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality."
- No negative humor
- Others before myself
Creighton asked each of us to share, on a scale from 1 to 10, where we were as far as spiritual, mental, physical and emotional readiness for the trip. It was good to hear everyone being transparent so that we could see where the strength of prayer was needed for each of us. With holidays, travel, and end-of-the-year deadlines pending, there is much busyness, so it is challenging to focus on spiritual things, even without the upcoming trip. In our hearts we know that this season is an especially opportune time to focus on Jesus, but even we get caught up in the world's press to be busy in this season. So from Creighton's "7" to TJ's "1," we all are in need of prayer to keep our attitudes like that of Christ and to keep us on track for all that we need to do to prepare for the trip, just over 2 months away.
So, next steps:
1. Be sure you complete your "checklist" of stuff to do:
- Complete your passport and visa process, send your prayer team contact info to Chris Ogino.
- Make appointments for your shots.
- Send out your support letters.
- Complete your health form, returning it to Sharon at the next meeting. If you were unable to attend the 12/21 meeting, contact your team leader (below) for your health form and anything else you might need.
3. Ask your prayer team to be praying for you already! Last night was a good reminder of the spiritual battle we are already fighting as Satan wields his ugly head to keep us from claiming the victory we already have in Jesus!
Airline tickets will be purchased on 12/30. After this date, you will be committed to financing your tickets.
The travel teams are:
Creighton - Team Leader
Kamu: Bruce, Laka, Timmy
TJ: Hugette, Linsey, Barbara
Fred: Alex, Aaron, Roy, Pono
By our next meeting 1/11/10, we will have a skeleton itinerary of the trip.
Next meetings will be:
- Monday, January 11 @ 6 pm
- Monday, January 25 @ 6 pm
- Monday, February 8 @ 6 pm
- Monday, February 22 @ 6 pm
Thank you for your hearts to serve alongside our brothers and sisters in Mussoorie as together we seek to do the will of God. I will be praying for you all as well.