Sunday, March 6, 2011

3/7/11 Survival Guide Journal Entry from Jill Matro

Today's Reading:
Deuteronomy 5,6; Psalm 43; Mark 14

After a little while, those standing near said to Peter, “Surely you are one of them, for you are a Galilean.” He began to call down curses, and he swore to them, “I don’t know this man you’re talking about.” Immediately the rooster crowed the second time. Then Peter remembered the word Jesus had spoken to him: “Before the rooster crows twice you will disown me three times.” And he broke down and wept. --Mark 14:71-72

Peter overreacted to the suspicion of the servant girl and the others in the courtyard. He started to swear! And then the rooster crowed the second time and Peter was convicted to the core. He broke down and cried in front of all his accusers. Peter allowed the conviction to break through his false image. In contrast, Judas sat at the Last Supper with Jesus and heard him say, “But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.” Judas’ response was to pretend he didn’t hear Jesus. Judas ignored Christ, thinking his own human plans were justified; in fact, Judas probably thought his plans were better! Peter at first claimed a false identity, but then allowed his heart to be convicted. The fruit of conviction gave birth to allowing Peter’s true identity to form – the Rock of Christ.

Where am I prideful? Are there areas of my life, my ministry, my plans that I think I know better than God? Would I be able to hear the rooster to crow the first time? Conviction is a gateway to breakthrough.

Father, You are incredibly patient with me. I pray, asking for your guidance and direction, and then I pretend sometimes that I do not hear your voice telling me to repent of my pride. Please forgive my stubborn heart. Your voice speaks to me of your unconditional love for me, yet in my pride I try to prove my worth. Forgive me for not taking you at your word. I am loved, redeemed and beautiful in your sight. Not for what I do in Your name or for what I have accomplished or for who people say I am. Convict me, Lord, in your gentle way–or not so gentle way, if I need it. Break through any strongholds of pride I have hidden. Reveal them to me so I can rebuke them at their source. Do not allow me to live with a false identity. I am yours and You are mine. Through the blood of Christ Jesus who has washed me clean and given me victory! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment