Thursday, March 8, 2012

Life Journal Reading for Friday, March 9, 2012

Today the team will be heading for Torchbearers' Retreat Center in Dehradun for the 2-day Woodstock Retreat. Last year this was a great spiritual battle, so please be in concerted prayer for the health and well-being of each team member and for the hearts and souls of the students attending.

Today's journal entry is shared by Gina Carroll, home team member and wife & mom of past travel team members Roy and Pono Carroll (3/2010).

Deuteronomy 10-12; Mark 16
“He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.” ~Mark 16:14-20

These were Jesus’ last spoken words to his disciples before he ascended into heaven to sit at the right hand of God. He descended and lived an earthly life; he was persecuted and killed; yet he returned from the dead to speak a direction and a purpose for ALL mankind. This is a true blessing for the world. This truly is living beyond oneself. Go into the world and preach the gospel—can it get simpler than that?

I’ve read this scripture 100s of times; I’ve definitely spoken it over others 100s of times. Yet nothing is as it appears at first glance. Beyond preaching the gospel is believing. Signs will follow those who believe. Do I believe because of what others have said, or do I believe because of what He has said and for what He has done? How has my belief been developed? Have I built it upon solid ground or on sinking sands subject to the tides of my life?

Before I can GO into all the world and preach, I myself must believe that I am chosen among all others...that I am worthy to serve him. I must believe that I am capable to serve Him and that I am able. I must believe that the circumstances that I have lived through are from God, and are for me to embrace, because ALL things are from Him. Signs will follow those that believe.

Heavenly Father, in all times of my life, whether joyful or sad, confident or unsure, I lean on you. Though I am weary, I am still able to feel you near. Your word says, blessed is she who believes in the promises that were spoken. Today I am believing in your strength in my times of weariness.

Your final words to us were to preach the gospel to all creatures that we may be able to bring them to you. You’ve made it clear that, until the very end, you seek believers. Father, help me to obey your command to the best of my ability; whether I am at home or on the mission field, I pray you use me mightily to fulfill this great commission.

Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment