Sunday, September 1, 2013

Leaving With a Full Heart


It's our last day here at the FIRS Orphanage. We have 12 hours left on the clock to be exact. We've been in Mussoorie for about five days now, but it seems like we've been here a lifetime. These five days have gone by too fast. I can only imagine how emotional it'll be when we have to depart (sigh..).

I've gotten to know these boys and they have become brothers. We laughed together. We ate together. We sang together. Danced together. Prayed together. Played a lot of Temple Run together (and just a side note, my high score still stands!). But above all things. We loved each other. I remember back home there is a shirt that says, "Our pockets empty, but our hearts full". Super blessed to see this phrase lived out in action here in Mussoorie.

God has used these children here to teach me one of his greatest commandments: how to love. I'm sorry if I've blogged about this once before, but I just cannot get over it. I love how these children love people. They're so appreciative and grateful for what they have. Just an example, last night we made shoyu chicken for dinner. They were so stoked! They came back for seconds and thirds. Now how many times in my life was I ever excited to eat shoyu chicken? When they came back to the line, I always heard, "Thank you. It was soooo good!" You know it comes from the heart too.

As the trip comes to an end and on my way back to a country where pride, materialism, and convenience reigns, I can only pray that God will continue to fill my heart with a love and gratitude that overflows, just like these kids; that I can learn to live with my pockets empty, but my heart always full.

"So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love"- 1 Corinthians 13:13




No comments:

Post a Comment