Saturday, April 12, 2014


How to cure a self focused heart!

6 Even if I should choose to boast, I would not be a fool, because I would be speaking the truth. But I refrain, so no one will think more of me than is warranted by what I do or say, 7 or because of these surpassingly great revelations. Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.  (2 Cor 12)

OBSERVATION
Paul says that he has every right to boast because it would be the truth BUT he refrains so that people do not think of him more than is warranted.  If anything Paul’s desire is to boast about his weaknesses not about his accomplishments!

APPLICATION
This is such a struggle lately.  Where in ministry…I want the credit for my part.  Where at work…I want recognition.  Where at home…..I want words of appreciation.  This is what feeds my flesh that fights against the Spirit of God.  Jesus tells us to deny ourselves, pick up our cross and follow Him.  That His power is made perfect in our weaknesses.  HE>i.  That people need to see more of Jesus and less of me.

The pathway to freedom is to feed my SPIRIT rather than my flesh.  To worship God…to be in His presence…to be encouraged, affirmed and filled with Him.  Then I will have more of an overflow of love and life to people.  Then I will not be so needy in my affirmation of man.  As my SPIRIT grows stronger my need for worldly affirmation will decrease.

PRAYER
Lord I commit to more time in your presence.  More time in prayer, worship, in your word…more time in solitude and silence with you.  That is the answer to my thirst for affirmation from people.  Thank you for your truth and revelation today.  For counseling me and reminding me that you are ALL that I need.  That you are the source that brings ALOHA in my life and to those around me.  In Jesus name I pray Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment