Friday, April 15, 2016

Devotional Reading for Saturday, April 16, 2016

Today's reading is 1 Samuel 18; 1 Chronicles 6; Psalm 11; and Matthew 3

As soon as he had finished speaking to Saul, the soul of Jonathan was knit to the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul... Then Jonathan made a covenant with David, because he loved him as his own soul. And Jonathan stripped himself of the robe that was on him and gave it to David, and his armor, and even his sword and his bow and his belt.  —1 Samuel 18:1,3-4

Forget today’s definition of being “a bro.” There is no better “bro” in the history of mankind than Jonathan to David. One of my favorite relationships of all time, portraying Godly loyalty and love, Jonathan was not only a dear friend to David, he was “knit to the soul” (ESV) of David! In two separate verses, Jonathan is described as loving David as he loved himself, as his very own soul. Just after Saul takes David in, Jonathan pours his love out for David, even taking his own prince-grade armor and personalized tools and placing them on David’s body. In a situation where most princes would be jealous of the new favor that his king father had toward another boy, Jonathan acts the opposite and shows David that “what is mine...is yours, and together we serve the Lord.”

Do I feel this Jonathan-like connection with another, and if I do, how am I exemplifying it in a way that pleases Abba Father? How will I strive to show this Christ-like brotherly love to my companions, to encourage them in their efforts and support them in their journey to fight for the Lord? Have I made a covenant to serve my brother/sister in Christ?  I’m so excited for some of you to reconnect & for some of you to experience  the love between these boys at HBS and the orphanage for the very first time! In a life where most of them have no one but each other and God to rely on, they have experienced what a Jonathan-like love means.  You have the privilege to experience something so unique and life-altering that so many would love to experience but cannot. You have come here to serve these boys, but... what will God be revealing to you about yourself these last few days? By now, I also would not be surprised if you have discovered a Jonathan-like commitment with one or two of your fellow teammates, too. Take advantage of this feeling Jesus has placed on your heart. Follow it, ask Him what more you can do to serve your teammate, and pray!

Thank you, Jesus, for the specific and intentional bonds you have created between myself and my brothers and sisters. Without them, I would not be where I am today. May I continue to seek ways to decrease myself and increase my commitment to You by serving them. Amen!

James \m/

No comments:

Post a Comment